Munich's annual extravaganza of beer halls, buxom girls in dirndls, pretzels and the best of the 'wurst' (pun intended!) actually gets underway in September. Its origins in Germany involve a wedding and a harvest festival, but now, Munich's Oktoberfest is one of the most famous multi-day parties in the world.
If you're missing Bavaria's biggest party this year, you're not out of luck yet: Germans have taken the festival's spirit of beer hall fellowship ('gemutlichkeit') and love of great German food with them where they've settled in other lands.
So the world's SECOND largest Oktoberfest might be closer than you imagine. And they don't tap the first keg until October.
So dust off your lederhosen, find your beer stein, round up a few of your best friends and celebrate one of the most famous months of the year!
Start your Trip!
- You’ve Missed Danube Day But You Can Still Discover Europe’s Record-Breaking River
- Two New Luxury Brands for the Secluded Turks & Caicos Islands
- Cruising From the US is Back!
- Now You Can Discover Your European Family Heritage While Sailing on a River Cruise
- Celebrate This Island’s Sweet Harvest at its Annual Summer Mango Festival